Entitlement to Free School Meals
Whilst all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are able to claim a free school meal under UIFSM, parents/carers of children who would normally qualify for Free School Meals due to personal circumstances are still advised to apply. This will ensure that meals are available for older siblings and will also continue uninterrupted when children start in Year 3. In addition, Badger Hill will also receive an additional funding of £1,320 per pupil each year for each child if you apply. This funding will directly benefit your child.
Children whose parents are in receipt of one of the following are entitled to receive free school meals:
• income Support
• income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
• Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
• Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If you believe you may be eligible for free school meals, please contact City of York Council on 01904 551554 or visit their website at: https://www.york.gov.uk/SchoolMeals
Further information can also be found at www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals.
If you would like us to check if your child would be entitled to receive free school meals, please contact the school office. You will need to provide us with your National Insurance Number, date of birth and surname. We will ask City of York to undertake an eligibility check and will inform you of the results.